September 25, 2018 | Blog, Planning for Retirement
9 Things You Need to Know About Wesbury
You see lots of ads for services these days. They beckon you to “get out and be more active”, to “live in a maintenance free environment”, to “be more secure”. Others are geared toward adult kids encouraging them to find solutions for their worries – “Is Mom taking her meds?” “Is Dad eating right?” There are so many services, so many messages. How do you know what community is right, what service will meet your needs and what you can afford? When faced with these questions, “Think Wesbury.” Let us help you navigate through your questions and offer you solutions. There are many good reasons to choose this community, but here are some key things that are very important to know and less commonly understood.
- Choose a continuing care community (CCRC ). Communities such as Wesbury offer exactly that – a continuation of care through the resident’s lifetime. Select a community where you can live actively and find the services you need through all the stages of your retirement years. CCRC’s offer everything from maintenance free living to in-home services, personal care apartments, rehabilitation, memory support and skilled nursing care. Once you choose the community, you have made a choice that will fit your needs for the rest of your life.
- Wesbury is a nonprofit Community. In choosing a nonprofit CCRC, you are choosing a community committed to providing for you both physically and financially for the rest of your life, even if you outlive your resources. For-profit organizations do ask their residents to leave when they can no longer pay. Wesbury does not. Benevolent Care is a key component of Wesbury’s nonprofit mission.
- Wesbury offers the security of Benevolent Care. We are continuously raising money for the Benevolent Care Fund to ensure that residents will receive care, even when they can no longer pay their bill! It’s a major part of our nonprofit Mission and Vision.
- We are faith based and open to all denominations. Wesbury has a Methodist Heritage. It was the Methodist church nearly 100 years ago that began the Wesbury vision. We continue to receive a great amount of support from area churches. However, Wesbury accepts residents from all walks of life and spiritual backgrounds. We offer both Protestant and Catholic services on campus every week as well as a full calendar of related activities for everyone interested in participating.
- Wesbury is NOT the most expensive facility in the region. We often hear that folks assume they cannot afford Wesbury. This is often untrue. Our rates for skilled nursing care are within a dollar per day of other area options. While applicants do need to have the means to pay their monthly fee for independent living, there is financial aid for veterans at the personal care level and we accept Medicare and Medicaid to pay for the costs of rehabilitation and skilled nursing care. Our In-home care rates are competitive too, and we accept financial aid from the PA Waiver Program to help cover the costs!
- This is not your Grandmother’s “nursing home”. The skilled nursing facilities of today have changed drastically from the days when everyone sat around in wheelchairs and ate green Jello. Wesbury’s skilled care residents enjoy summer concerts on the lawn, trips to the zoo, fishing outings, and lots of opportunities to exercise the mind and the body. Residents are able to be far more active than they thought possible at all stages of life.
- Going to a nursing home for rehabilitation does not mean you will have to stay long term. Every year more than 50% of our skilled nursing care population come for rehabilitation, get well and are discharged back to their home. Most come from a hospital setting to recover from an illness or injury. While here, they experience a robust rehabilitation program with private rooms, flexible dining options and activities. It’s far more comfortable than being in a hospital setting and the care is excellent. 89% of those who have experienced this care say they would recommend it to others.
- You can try it before you buy it. We know that you want to feel good about your move. For those seeking a personal care environment, Wesbury offers short-term trial stays to see if the fit is right before you make the move. You can come for any length of time; simply bring your suitcase and enjoy your stay. We will provide the rest. If you decide you like it, we provide free move assistance.
- You don’t need to be declining to live here. At Wesbury’s Thoburn Village, residents are entering the community in their 60’s and 70’s to take advantage of an active lifestyle where they can pursue their retirement dreams without home maintenance weighing them down. They are free to travel, golf or visit their grandkids. Some folks feel they are not ready yet, our question always is, “what will make you ready?” Don’t wait for a crisis, plan well. Come discover the freedom now!